Dana and I having our annual Shirley Temples with my mom and dad.
Cocktail Hour at the Cabot Lodge
More pictures from Cocktail Hour. For some reason, all I could find was pictures from cocktail hour and none from the actual rodeo. Guess the adults had a few too many cocktails and forgot to take pictures at the rodeo!!
My birthday is February 19th, and every year, my family would have a “Surprise” birthday party for me in Jackson. Somehow it was always a surprise….. Art would take Dana and I to the golf store shopping or some other activity and the women would set up my party. I remember one year walking into the hotel lobby and seeing all of the pink birthday decorations and saying, “Look it’s someone’s birthday.” Even after years of the birthday tradition, somehow, I was always surprised.
"Look, New Kids on the Block Tickets for Dana and I!"
Another party, still surprised....
After cocktail hour on Friday at the Cabot Lodge, we’d all go over to the Coliseum for the rodeo. We’d walk through the livestock stables and look at all of the animals and then go find our seats for the rodeo. Somehow, we always ended up in the nose bleed section!! Intermission at the rodeo always featured a country singer and that was one of my favorite parts. We’ve seen Brooks and Dunn, Confederate Railroad, Rhett Aikens and many others over the years at the rodeo. Another favorite event at the rodeo was the bull fighting clown, Lecile Harris. He always told funny jokes!! The calf roping was not one of my favorites, the ladies and us girls, always secretly cheered for the calves and hoped they would get away!!
I remember one year after happy hour, my entire family was on the elevator together. The doors opened and I hopped off. Wrong floor!! Whoops!! “Someone” in the family closed the doors before I could get on and mashed all of the buttons on the elevator so it would take a while to get back to me. I remember my sweet daddy being very aggravated when they finally got back to my floor!
Crazy Cowgirls playing on the luggage cart! Miki, Where's your hat?!?
Those are such great memories of the rodeo, in the comments section, please feel free to share a memory of our fun times together at the rodeo!!







Hilarious!! I enjoyed these pics so much! You and Dana definitely win the Big Bangs award!!
ReplyDeleteI remember going to the Dixie National each year after Arthur and I started dating. I also remember that each year we would have a surprise birthday party for you. You were always surprised.
ReplyDeleteI remember the one year that we rode to supper and the rodeo with Grandmother and Don. After the rodeo he was so drunk that he forgot his way back to the hotel. I was so scared that night, but we finally made it back to the Cabot.
This post made me laugh and cry. Such precious memories for me, too. We so loved to do special things for you, your Daddy and I.
ReplyDeleteOne of my most memorable rodeo moments was the one where you said "look, someone's having a bithday party" when you walked into the lobby.
Thanks for doing this one....maybe more to come?
I think we went more for the family fun and your birthday than anything! Remember we quit the rodeo the year the horse fell off the trailer.
ReplyDeleteSurely we didn't go just for the happy hour! Your Daddy and I rarely drank!
I'm just saying.....
Love,
Mom