Yesterday was a great day for Harley, the dog! We pulled into the garage after church and saw him perched up on the kitchen table. Hello, What is he doing up there?? He knows better!!! We walked into see that I accidentally left Alec’s half eaten plate of pancakes on the table as we ran out the door to church and apparently, Harley thought he’d help himself to the leftovers.
After Alec’s naptime, my grocery shopping and Dustin’s school work, we headed to Ellisville for dinner. After dinner, we thought we’d go over to our good friends Ryan and Michelle’s house and see their baby Sydney. Michelle and Sydney weren’t home, so Ryan took us in the golf cart over to his parent’s house to see the cows. This was Alec’s first time to see cows up close and personal!! Ryan had just herded the cows out of the rye grass field and back into the regular field, but had accidentally left the gate open and all of the cows had ran back into the rye grass for another yummy meal!! We noticed a tiny baby calf lying by the fence. Ryan says it was probably only a day old. We all jumped out of the golf cart so Alec could pet the baby before the momma came over to see what we were doing. I told Harley to stay in the golf cart. Needless to say, I turned around and he’d jumped out and was standing in the middle of a HUGE cow patty chowing down. His face was covered in crap!! YUCK!! And I was elected to hold him on the way back to Ryan’s house!! GROSS!! But Alec still had fun, even with the poop covered dog! After that, we had to herd the cows out of the rye grass with the golf cart. I must admit, that was pretty fun!! We chased the cows all over the field!! It was actually much easier than I thought; they would give us dirty looks then turn and run for the gate!
After the cows, Ryan remembered that his Dad has baby chickens right now in the chicken houses. Alec loves ducks, so we were sure he’d love seeing all of the “ducks”. But no, he did not think the chicken house was fun. He clung to Dustin and didn’t want anything to do with the chickens. I must admit 24,000 chickens is a bit overwhelming!! They were running around everywhere!! I can only imagine what it’s like when the chickens are full grown and they cover the entire house! I had been in the chicken house before, but not while chickens were in there. I was in charge of the dog and had to keep a death grip on him!! He thought the chickens were much more interesting than Alec did!!
Monday, March 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Many more days like this one and Harley may be joining Jake sooner than he wants too! We had to put sweet Jake, our golden retriever, to sleep Saturday. He's buried at Paps' feet in the "memory garden". This is where Jake spent so much of his time when Paps was here with us, so it seemed appropriate to lay him to rest with Paps. Harley, watch your p's and q's my friend! Your mom was already put out with you yesterday before the cow patty's! Your days could become numbered!!!
ReplyDeleteMichelle, this is hilarious! I could visualize things as you shared. Well, I couldn't imagine how bad Harley looked getting into that cow patty, but man, I bet he smelled awful. 24,000 chickens? Oh my gosh, I'd be hanging onto my Daddy too. What a sight that had to have been. Sounds like such a fun day, especially getting to pet a baby calf. I love the way you write. I will laugh more when I read this to Don.
ReplyDelete